|Category:||Social Studies, Social and Personal Development|
The purpose of this award is to equip the learner with the knowledge, skill and competence to work under supervision and independently in an animal grooming facility.
* Interpret canine, feline and other small animal body language so as to handle, house and groom animals appropriately
* Explain the cycles of hair and nail growth in a variety of dog breeds and other small animals
* Apply knowledge of anatomical skin structure and physical skin appearance in animals so as to be able to suggest skin and coat abnormalities
* Outline potential causes of hair loss and how to deal with them if evident in the grooming facility
* Explain the correct uses of equipment used in the grooming facility and the appropriate maintenance of such equipment
* Use information sources, including dog owner, examination and observations of dog, to plan the grooming process including brushing and de-matting, nail and ear care, bathing, drying and clipping, hand stripping and or cutting as appropriate
* Exercise appropriate handling and restraining of animals during the grooming process
* Select suitable products and equipment for a variety of animals with differing skin and hair types
* Use a variety of grooming equipment including grooming table, dryers, brushes, combs, clippers and others, following best practice
* Exercise initiative to aid the efficient and effective running of the grooming facility
* Deal appropriately with the public and their animals
* Obtain the details required from an owner prior to assuming responsibility for their animal
* Maintain personal and professional health and safety requirements of a grooming facility including personal protective equipment, safe handling and housing of animals, prevention of transmission of disease and safety, health and hygiene of facility for the benefit of the public.
|Start/End Time:||6.30pm - 9.30pm|